If you aren’t being social on social media you don’t exist. It’s not enough to post pretty photos anymore. With so many companies vying for people’s attention it can seem like you’re just yelling into the void. But this is where it pays to talk to your ideal customer through social media content. You want to create a community that feels exclusive.
Brands that have superior customer experience bring in 5.7 times more revenue than their competitors.
You also want to make sure you’re talking to your customers, not at them. Your content should engage, entertain or teach your customers something about you and your product or service.
Customers don’t want to be seen as just another dollar sign. Engage with them. Take an interest in them. You can gain invaluable information into the way your ideal customer thinks, what they like, what they don’t like and how they feel simply by taking the time to talk with them.
You are meant to be social on social media. 62.4% of people say they are more likely to interact with brands on Instagram than on other social media channels.
Some of the benefits of asking engaging questions on social media are:
Using the algorithm to your advantage
The more people like, comment and share your content the algorithm will push it out to more accounts. Thus getting it in front of more of your ideal clients.
Staying top of mind when they need to make a purchase
Almost 59% of American consumers engage with brands on social media – sometimes up to three times a day. And nearly two-thirds of consumers who are satisfied with brand interactions over social media are likely to recommend that brand to others.
By asking targeted questions you can see what new products or services you can develop and understand market trends.
Here are a few questions you can ask to get the ball rolling. Remember, you’re not a robot. Show the human behind the brand. Below are some questions to get you started.
Topics and questions:
- How do you spend your free time?
- What are you looking forward to the most this week/month/year?
- What three things can you not live without?
- Do you prefer to shop online or offline?
- If I could go anywhere in the world right now, I’d be in______
- What advice would you give your younger self?
- What three items would you bring to an island getaway?
- What shows are you bingeing on Netflix right now?
- What’s your favorite GIF? Share it below!
- What would be the perfect gift to you from us?
Polls are another great way to engage your social media followers.
They are a tool that can influence opinions, behavior, and decisions. A study found that 49% of consumers rely on influencer recommendations on social media to make informed purchase decisions. They are also simple and quick to create. Make sure you are only posting polls once or twice a week for maximum engagement.
Here are a few examples:
- Are you a… A) Dog person B) Cat person
- Pineapples on pizza? A)Yes B)No Way
- Are you getting enough value from me…. A)Yes B) No
- Would you rather: a) Read a book b) watch a movie c) listen to a podcast
- What’s your favorite type of book? a) Personal development b) Romance c) Sci-fi d) Horror
- Are you a… A) Coffee person B) Tea person
- What team are you? a) team iPhone b) team Android
- Do you identify as a a) morning person b) night owl
- Would you rather: Be too hot b) be too cold
- What do you prefer: A) Lifting weights B) Cardio
Don’t forget to thank everyone who voted and respond to their answers.
Over time, the more questions you ask the better you’ll get to know your audience and what they respond best to. You can identify issues before they start and save money on market research.
The goal of engaging with your audience is to create a community. To build up the know, like and trust factor of your brand. Take some time to step away from the sale and focus on getting to know your people instead.